Monday, March 8, 2010

Tabbouleh


Who ever said that Ina Garten can't cook without using a stick of butter must have missed this delicious recipe. There are so many health benefits in this dish and it is so delicious. My husband loves this! I honestly think he is part rabbit because he can sit down and chomp on a red pepper like it's an apple, but it's kinda nice because I am able to serve him yummy healthy meals like this and he really appreciates it. You can serve this as a side dish or eat up a bigger portion for the main dish. I made this full recipe and Micah and I ate it for a few days. If you make it for dinner any extra left over will make a great lunch the next day. You will love the texture and flavor the bulghur wheat gives this dish. I have been using bulghur wheat a lot-talk about good for you! I will work on a post examining the benefits of eating this wheat because it will make this dish that much more appealing:)

Tip: To make this a heartier meal I added some chunks of feta. Also, I have seen Ina serve this in pita bread with big chunks of feta.

Tabbouleh
Ina Garten
serves 8

Ingredients

  • 1 cup bulghur wheat
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (1 bunch)
  • 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (1 bunch)
  • 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (1 bunch)
  • 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half (I used red pepper instead, just because I don't like tomatoes....I know I really gotta work on that one)
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Place the bulghur in a large bowl, pour in the boiling water, and add the lemon juice, olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Stir, then allow to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.

Add the scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper; mix well. Season, to taste, and serve or cover and refrigerate. The flavor will improve if the tabbouleh sits for a few hours.

1 comment:

  1. Is bulghur wheat easy to find? I've never cooked with it. Fred would love this too, but with tomatoes. I've never tried Tabbouleh so I'll have to give it a try. Tell us more about bulghur wheat. K?

    ReplyDelete