Friday, October 22, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup



I have been dying for some soup ever since the weather turned chilly. Once I decided on soup, I started craving Chicken Tortilla Soup. I researched a bunch of them and decided on Martha Stewart's version. It took me a little while because you make the base from scratch but it turned out INCREDIBLE! Honestly, I don't know if I have ever been so proud of something. I know this sounds super braggy (just know that I am bragging about the recipe, and not my cooking)....but I would totally expect to find this in a restaurant or something. I loved it! It is also really healthy too, it is basically all vegetables. Yum!

1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I bought a rotissere chicken from Costco and shredded half of it)
2 cups cilantro plus 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
3 cups water
4 plum tomatoes
2 small onions, halved lengthwise, unpeeled
4 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
3/4 cups rinsed, drained canned chickpeas (I didn't include these)
1/2 small avocado
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp minced jalapeno (didn't include this)
sour cream
shredded cheese
tortilla chips

1. In a large saucepan, combine chicken, 2 cups cilantro, broth and water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently until chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; let cool. Cut into 1/2 inch dice. Strain broth through a fine strainer; reserve. Wipe pot out. ***I didn't do this whole step because I already had my chicken cooked. I just shredded 1/2 of my costco rotisserie chicken***
2. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a cast-iron skillet on medium-high until hot. Add 3 tomatoes, onions, and garlic; cover and cook, turning vegetables occasional, until skins are nicely charred, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. When veggies are cool enough to handle, remove skins, stems, and cores; discard. Place tomatoes, onions, and garlic in a blender with 1/2 cup of broth; blend until smooth. S crape mixture into saucepan; cook, stirring, over medium heat until thickened and darker; about 6 inutes. Stir in remaining both, 1/4 tsp salt, corn, chickpeas and chicken. Remove from heat.
3. Finely dice avocado. Place in a bowl. Finely dice remaining tomato, and add to avocado with lime juice, jalapeno, chopped cilantro and remaining 1/8 tsp salt. Re-warm soup; ladle into bowls. Garnish with avocado mixture, sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, it is pouring here and a perfect day to make this...miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy, and I love the idea of "doctoring up" the broth, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete