Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Italian Turkey Meatloaf


Another recipe from Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfield. I will admit that I HATE ground turkey and actually I don't really like meatloaf either! My friend made this and told me I had to try it...and it is actually really good. John and the kids all liked it too. I am horrible at taking pictures of things I cook, especially when it's 6:00 pm, everyone's starving, and I'm trying to get dinner on the table. So I stole another pic from Rachel Ray and I saw this fun video if anyone wants to watch it.

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/2 cup carrot puree
  • 1/4 cup ketchup 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup bottled tomato sauce
  • 4 slices turkey bacon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in milk. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the celery and cook 3 to4 minutes longer. Scrape the mixture into the bowl with the breadcrumbs. Add the turkey, Parmesan, carrot puree, ketchup, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. Turn the mixture into the loaf pan and smooth the top. Spread tomato sauce over the meatloaf and lay the strips of bacon on top. Bake until the center of the meatloaf is no longer pink and the bacon begins to brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Cut into slices and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Mel I just made mom's sweet and sour meatloaf because my family LOVES it...so I want to try this one since the sweet and sour is made with ground beef, regular bacon, white and brown sugars! It will be nice to try a healthier version of meatloaf>>>Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete