Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sugar Free, Whole Wheat, Yummy Banana Muffins


Before I went off sugar I was so bad about using up the vegies I had in my fridge. I would go grocery shopping, buy lots of vegies and swear this time I would use them all up before they went bad-and it never happened. I always ended up throwing out loads of vegies. Well, since I've been off sugar I haven't thrown any fruits or vegies out, I've been using them all up...that is except for one thing. Bananas. Every single time I go to the store I get bananas and I promise myself this time I will eat them before they get overly ripe. Still hasn't happened. I just don't like them. If I freeze them to use in smoothies I can stand them, but other than that I just haven't been able to make myself eat them. So there I was, stuck again with a whole bunch of overly ripe bananas. I was about ready to throw them out when I decided I would make something healthy with them. That's where these yummy muffins come in :)

I looked for a truly sugar free banana bread or muffin online, I didn't even want it sweetened with honey or agave. I found one, better yet they called for whole wheat flour. I was a little skeptical about these, I didn't know how they could be good without any kind of sweetener. But let me tell ya, they were delicious! I added a couple tablespoons of ground flax, I will add more next time. This is a great quick breakfast, snack, or treat. Add a little butter and they are even more amazing. Micah loved them, it's always a good thing when you get the husbands stamp of approval :)

*A couple things: Recipe says it will make 12 muffins, I just got 11. Also says to bake for 20 minutes, mine were done in 15.

Sugar free Banana Muffins

Ingredients:

3 lg. bananas

1 tsp cinnamon

1 egg

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. sea salt

1 1/2 c. organic whole wheat flour

1/3 c. melted butter

Preparation:

Mash bananas.

Add cinnamon and slightly beaten egg.

Add melted butter.

Sift dry ingredients together and add to above mixture.

Mix until moistened.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Carly! I have a bunch of ripe bananas, I was going to try to find a good recipe for banana muffins to put on here. Thanks for saving me the trouble, I am making this first thing in the morning...so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made these with a little agave and some walnuts...yum!

    ReplyDelete