Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Update no Sugar and a Super Super Yummy treat!


So I'm almost done with my fifth day of no sugar. It's been going pretty good. I've had some really hard moments and some really good empowering moments. I say empowering because I feel like I am taking control of my health and eating habits how I want to. For a while I felt so out of control with my sugar consumptions. I HAD to have a treat at least once a day, and whenever I went places I always was thinking of what bakery we would pass and I could swing in and grab a cupcake. It's interesting-I still have those thoughts. When Micah and I are driving around my mind goes to "where can we grab a fun treat?!" I just have to retrain my way of thinking and know that I can still have fun if there's not a treat involved:) I've been feeling physically good, even though I still do crave treats I feel like my mind is a lot more clear. Ok so enough about my updates, on to a really fun recipe:)

I've recently stumbled acrossed the site/blog unconventional kitchen. It's a great site with lots of healthy recipes. I saw these snowball cookies on her site and just had to try them. You can go here if you want to see a fun little video of her making them. I made them today and they were so so good! Ok so some of you may say "that's cheating! There's honey and brown rice syrup in those!" Ya ya I know, but I am not going off natural sweeteners, and plus there's a lot of health benefits from consuming raw unheated honey. These little cookies are full of energy and nutrition. Protein from the peanut butter, energy from the honey that wont make you crash in an hour, and lots of nutrition from the chia seeds, go here to read about how good they are for you. I can't wait to make these into granola bar forms and pack them full of flax and nuts and send them off with Micah to work. I am also planning on making them to send in my kids school lunches, kinda planning ahead I know but it's really fun to find healthier yummy alternatives to treats. These would be great rice krispy treat substitutes, and you don't have to add the chia seeds if you don't have them. Hope you can try these out, they are really nummy:)

Snow Ball Cookies

1 C peanut butter
1/2 C honey
1/4 C brown rice syrup, or more honey
2 1/2-3 C cereal, I used a brown rice cereal from Good Earth that is like rice krispies
1 C puffed millet cereal, also found at the health food store, again any puffed grain cereal would do, or you could do 1/2 C of oats (I just used the brown rice cereal, couldn't find puffed millet
2 T chia seeds, or flax, or both

Mix all of the ingredients together and scoop out with a mini ice cream scoop, or you can press the mix into a baking pan to make bars, they will soften as they sit. After lettting them soften for 1-2 hours cut into bars.

Feel free to add coconut, wheat germ, dried fruit, mini chocolate chips, really whatever your heart desires. You can also make them with almond butter instead of peanut butter.


Here's what Desiree of Unconventional Kitchen has to say about Chia Seeds:

Chia seeds are SO good for you, they have more omega threes than salmon. Chia has fifteen times more magnesium than broccoli, three times more iron than spinach, six times more calcium than milk, and two times more pottasium than bananas. 2 oz of chia seeds gives you 560 mg of vitamin c! Chia seeds soak up to 10 times its weight in water, this helps you to stay hydrated longer (which helps with endurance).
The greatest part about chia seeds is that they are tasteless, so you can add them to salads, smoothies, power bars, muffins, cookies, ext. ext.
To get the most nutrition out of them put a 1/4 C in a jar and fill it with water. The chia seeds will soak up the liquid in the jar, making it like gel. You can then add this gel to your smoothies. Don’t let them sit too long or they start to get really thick, because chia seeds can also be used to thicken things.
Chia seeds are very filling, and some people use them as a weight loss aid. They make you feel full, and so you can take a 1/4 cup of the gel before meals to help curb your apetite, and still get all of the nutrition that you need.

1 comment: