Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chicken Salad Sandwich Thins

I love sandwiches and the last time I went to Costco they were serving samples of chicken salad served on these deliciously thin whole wheat rolls. I was so excited about the100 calorie whole wheat buns that actually tasted good. I bought a pack and came up with this recipe that night.

Other than the buns, I didn't need to buy anything to make these yummy and healthy sandwiches. To be honest, the kids didn't really go for this one - which means I've been able to have the leftovers for lunch for the past few days! Recipe makes 8 sandwiches, with only 180 calories each.
2 12.5 ounce cans premium chunk chicken breast (from Costco)
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup carrots, diced
(matchstick carrots are perfect)
1/2 cup spinach, julienned
(stack 6-8 spinach leaves at a time, roll, and slice into thin strips)
1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2 cup light mayo
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon cumin

Mix mayo, lemon juice, and cumin in a large bowl. Add drained chicken and mix well with a fork. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drizzle whole wheat rolls with olive oil and toast on a grill pan. Spread a thick layer of chicken salad in between two toasted buns and
thindulge!

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of these sandwich thins. Thanks for the tip. I would probably like it better than regular bread anyway. The filling looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! You weren't kidding about these-they look so good. I am going to Costco on Tuesday...so hopefully I will have this for lunch on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought the Orowheat Sandwich Thins. They have about half the calories of bread, and a lot of fiber. Five grams! I was pleasantly surprised by that. I just had a sandwich and really like it on the Orowheat Thins.

    ReplyDelete