Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Quick and Easy Stir Fry


Lately I have been making a lot of stir fry. It's a great meal for when you have no idea what to make, it's inexpensive, and it can be very healthy. Now, I say it can be healthy, because a lot of stir fry recipes call for cooking the vegetables in oil or butter for a while. I used to do that, but lately I have been steaming my vegetables and find that the stir fry's turn out just as good. This stir fry is hardly an exact recipe. Whatever vegetables I have I use. I usually have brocoli and carrots on hand, so sometimes I just do a brocoli and carrot stir fry. But if I plan ahead I will grab zucchini, green onions, and peppers. Bok choy would be a great addition as well. I used to serve my vegis over brown rice, but lately I have been serving them over quinoa which I like better because it takes less time to cook and it's better for you. So like I said, this isn't an exact recipe but I will give you the jist as to what I do for my quick and easy stir fry meal:)

For the Sauce:
3 T. soy sauce (low sodium if you have it)
1 T. corn starch
1/4 c. water
1 T. honey (this is optional, but I like to add it to give it a little sweetness)

mix and set aside.

Steam assortment of vegies. I usually steam over a cup of vegies per person. You could do more or less if you like. I steam my vegies for about 10 minutes, I like them to remain a little crunchy. After vegies are steamed transfer them to a pan with just a tsp of olive oil, and sautee for just a minute (this step is optional, I like to do it because it sears the vegis a little which I like). Toss in the sauce and green onions if you have them (I like alot of green onions, about half a cup) Cook until sauce thickens. Serve over rice or quinoa.

Note: The sauce makes a lot, you could probably get 4 servings out of it. You could also toss in some chicken if you wanted, but quinoa is a good source of protein so this really is a nicely balanced meal.

5 comments:

  1. Yum...can't wait to try this, I am making it this week for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good to me. Since I'm sick, will you come over and make it for me? I need some vegies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight. I used up a bunch of vegetables I had in the refrigerator: zucchini, broccoli, red pepper, cauliflower, and carrots. I really liked it. As I was eating it I wished I would have put some onions in, but it still tasted great. My California avocados are ripe, so tomorrow it will be Ina's Chicken Chili. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this again tonight. Last night I felt like the sauce needed more water, so tonight I doubled it and it was perfect. It thickened nicely. Fred tasted it for the first time and loved it. We made "Not so good for you too... pot-stickers," to go with it. Great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm this blog is making me hungry!! I can't wait to try these. I love how healthy and easy they are!

    ReplyDelete