Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lisa's Bean Soup

I went to visit Lisa one night and she had made this wonderful soup. I loved it! I had just bought a huge bucket of 15 bean mix for my food storage and was happy to find a good recipe for it. I used to put the ground beef in, but I don't anymore. We all prefer it with just the ham. I bought three spiral hams from Costco for Sam's farewell, and froze the meaty bones to use later for this soup. I'm afraid I just used my last one. Everyone loves it. I always feel good when I feed my family legumes.

2 cups of 15 bean soup mix, washed
3 qt. water
1 lb. browned ground beef
1 meaty ham bone
1 lg. pinch basil
1 lt. pinch thyme
1 t. salt

Cook all except ground beef. Boil. Simmer for 3 hours

Add:
1 lg. onion, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
3 lg. carrots, diced
1 16 oz. can tomatoes (I always puree my tomatoes)
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 T. parsley flakes
2 T. beef broth powder
Cook until vegetables are tender

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite soup ever, I could eat bowl after bowl after bowl, when are you going to make it for me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, why haven't I ever had this at my moms??? :)

    ReplyDelete