Saturday, January 9, 2010

Agave & Honey Oatmeal Cookies


First of all, let me just say how excited I am about this blog! I know I will never be able to be 100% vegetarian, vegan, or will never be able to go my whole life without a nice big cupcake. But this blog will be a great way to constantly strive to step in the right direction for a more healthy eating lifestyle. I can have that nice big cupcake once in a while, if I am implementing really healthy nutient based meals into my life. And I can hardly wait to get wonderful recipes and healthy tips from all of you contributing to this blog! Ok, so now for my first recipe I can't wait to share!

I posted this recipe on my other blog, Carly's Kitchen (which if you go to it I'm sure you are going to think I'm a hypocrite for contributing to a "healthy" based food blog, because this blog expresses my passion for the sweeter things in life, but hey, everything in moderation:) ) I made these cookies again just last week, and I forgot how amazing they are! They are such a nice snack or treat, and you don't have to feel guilty eating them! I throw in a few chocolate chips in mine, because I don't like raisins, but next time I make them I want to try adding chopped nuts and maybe some coconut so I can give them to my hubby to take to school so it can be a more filling snack. These cookies are pretty cakey, which isn't a bad thing, but next time I make them I want to maybe cut down the flour a little bit and eliminate the baking powder, to see if it results in a more gooey cookie:)

-Carly


Agave & Honey Oatmeal Cookies

2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg (approx)
3 tablespoons agave nectar
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (2 oz)
1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
1/8 teaspoon EACH baking soda & baking powder
1/4 scant teaspoon salt (I put in only 1/8 tsp)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/3 cup raisins

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix egg, agave, honey, oil and vanilla together in a bowl. Stir very well.
Combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir very well, then add to agave mixture and stir until blended. Stir in the oats and raisins. Let batter sit for about 5 minutes.

Using a tablespoon measure, scoop up dough and arrange on parchment lined cookie sheets spacing 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time for about 10-11 minutes. Let cool completely.

Makes 8 cookies

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing them to dinner. So yummy. Satisfied my sweet tooth in a healthy way! Let's try adding coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am off of sweets for a month...do these count? :)

    ReplyDelete