Monday, January 25, 2010

Tostadas

I found this recipe years ago in the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. When I made them way back then, I felt like it took hours, and I was left feeling exhausted! But I always thought it was worth the work because they are really good. Now when I make this meal, it doesn't seem like a big deal at all. I've got pretty good chopping skills now and more help in the kitchen. The beans are cooked in a little olive oil, rather than bacon fat, and you don't need to fry the tortillas in oil, so it really is a - good for you too - recipe.

Refried Beans
2 cups dry pinto beans, soaked
2-3 Tbs. olive oil
2 cups minced onion
5-6 (or more) medium cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. salt black pepper
optional: 1 small bell pepper, minced

1) Cook the presoaked beans in plenty of boiling water until very soft. Drain and set aside.
2) Heat teh olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion, half the garlic, cumin, and salt. Saute over medium heat about 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Add (or don't add) the optional bell pepper, and saute another 5 minutes. Add remaining garlic; season with black pepper.
3) Turn heat to low, add beans, and mix well. Mash with a fork or a potato masher, and cook for just a few minutes more. Serve right away, or store in refrigerator or freezer until time to reheat.

Tostadas
Tortillas - You can deep fry them or just spray a pan with Pam and heat. I've been making my own and they are fabulous.
Refried beans - layer on top of tortilla.
Accessories -(use all or some - I always use cabbage rather than lettuce.)
shredded lettuce, shredded cabbage, avocados, minced olives, grated cheese, chopped tomatoes, shopped hardboiled egg, minced mild chilies, sour cream
Salsa Fresca - I think this is what makes them so good. Recipe follows.

Salsa Fresca
3-medium-sized ripe tomatoes
2 scallions, finely minced
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
a handful of parsley, finely minced
a handful of cilantro, finely minced
1 tsp. lightly toasted cumin seeds
3/4 to 1 tsp. salt
1 T. cider vinegar
1 T. olive oil
1 T. fresh lime juice
crushed red pepper, to taste
Just combine everything in a small bowl, cover tightly and chill.

3 comments:

  1. I'll be the first to comment on my post. He he. I did it all by myself! (almost) I had a little breakdown trying to load the pic, but Carly came to the rescue. These tostadas are super good. When I make them, I make enough for two nights because as long as you're chopping, might as well do a little more and take the next night off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tostadas are AMAZING!! I always love them and wish that I could eat about ten at a time...but that might not "be good for me too" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I just made these tonight and they were fantastic. John said these were the best beans he'd ever had! My boys had tons of fun making their own and ate almost all of it. Salsa was delish! Thanks Penny, I will be making these again for sure!

    ReplyDelete