Thursday, January 21, 2010

Doting Deception

Last year I got Jessica Seinfeld’s book, Deceptively Delicious, ever since then I have been really into making vegetable purees. Along the same lines as Dana’s tip below, I like to add them to pretty much anything. It is actually simple to do. Whenever you are cooking a vegetable, just cook some extra, throw it in a blender, and freeze in ½ cup or ¼ cup proportions. I have a freezer full of small zip lock baggies, you simple thaw one, snip the corner of your bag and add to anything.

John is somewhat wary of my purees, but when he ate these pancakes, he said they were the best he had ever had! He was not suspicious at all. He is usually worse than the kids :) I serve them with cauliflower scrambled eggs and turkey bacon for a filling, yet nutritious, breakfast; a great start to the day!


You’ll have to excuse the silly picture, but the kids really get excited about fun-shaped pancakes. One pancake has about 160 calories, not too bad.

Here is a play off Grandma Jeans Buttermilk Pancake Recipe:

Sweet Potato Pancakes

1 cup flour

½ cup whole-wheat flour

½ cup wheat germ

¼ cup sugar

¼ cup corn meal

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

2 cups buttermilk

½ cup milk

½ cup melted butter

½ cup sweet potato puree

2 eggs, separated

Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, butter, sweet potato, and egg yolks. Add the buttermilk mixture to the large bowl of dry ingredients, mixing lightly until just incorporated. The batter will be lumpy. In a small bowl beat the egg whites until foamy. Fold the egg whites into the batter. Cook on a hot skillet until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes on each side.

***This is a big batch of pancakes. I usually put the leftover batter in a large zip-lock bag and store in the refrigerator. The next morning you can snip the corner of the bag and have fun piping pancake designs...I have finally mastered the snake pancake, a big hit at our house! :)

Cauliflower Scrambled Eggs

2 large eggs

4 large egg whites

1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream

1/2 cup cauliflower puree

2 tablespoons grated parmesan

Salt and pepper to taste

Whisk together the eggs, cauliflower puree, sour cream, parmesan, and salt and pepper. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-low. When the pan is hot, add 1 teaspoon olive oil, then the egg mixture. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently until the eggs are scrambled – firm but nice and moist.

When I make this for my under-weight little boys, I use whole eggs, substitute heavy cream instead of sour cream, and cook with butter. Higher in calories, but still nutritious. They scarf them down and don't even notice the cauliflower.


4 comments:

  1. Can I just say.........I LOVE OUR BLOG!!!! Thanks for all the great posts. I've had one of those weeks where cooking has not been a priority. Today Sophie told me she wanted a good home cooked meal. O.K. I ended up serving left overs, but I've got a goal to try all of our recipes next week and I'm really excited to try new things. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am planning to try EVERYTHING next week!!! I love new pancake recipes! Can't wait to try this one! Thanks for the great idea on the cauliflower (sp?) eggs! I love it!! Deception really can be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna give the eggs a go with the kids on Sunday. Dad will be here so maybe I will try the eggs AND the pancakes...and see what he thinks :)
    What is the best way to cook turkey bacon. I tried microwaving it once and it took forever and ever and I thought it was just gross (nothing can compare to the salty goodness of real bacon)! What am I doing wrong? Do I have to pan fry it???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the microwave kinda turns it to rubber. I usually just put my oven on 350 or so and throw them in on a sheet pan. I think it takes about 10 min or so, but you can make your pancakes while they are cooking. Just cook them 'til they are crispy and they actually taste pretty good. I agree with nothing tasting like real bacon, but I only buy turkey now and we have all started to like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete