Monday, January 25, 2010

Turkey Chili


The other day I was going through my freezer and found some frozen ground turkey. I got so excited because I had no idea it was in there and I felt like I was just given a free pound of ground turkey! I quickly started thinking about what I was going to make with it and decided to try out a Turkey Chili. I found this recipe on Simply Recipes. It turned out pretty good. Micah raved about it. I halved the recipe and had to make a few changes. I felt like it was very dry and not "soupy" enough so I had to add a couple more cups of stock to get it the right consistency I wanted. I also played around with the spices until I reached the flavor I liked. So if you happen to find some ground turkey in your fridge/freezer give this one a try! :)

Turkey Chili Recipe


Ingredients

* 2 cups chopped onion
* 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
* 1 cup chopped green pepper
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 (35 oz) cans stewed tomatoes, crushed
* 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained
* 2 Tbsp tomato paste
* 3/4 cup chicken or turkey stock (I used chicken stock)
* 2 Tbsp chili powder (or up to 4 Tbsp if you like it really hot)
* 1 Tbsp ground cumin
* 1 Tbsp dried hot red pepper flakes (I left out)
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 Tbsp salt, plus more if desired to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 3 to 4 cups of shredded, cooked turkey meat
* Sugar

* Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped red onion, sour cream for optional garnish.

Method

1 In a large, 8-quart, thick-bottom pot, cook the onion and green pepper over medium high heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for a minute or two more. Add a bit more olive oil if needed.

2 Add tomatoes, tomato paste, stock. beans, oregano, salt, pepper, and cooked turkey meat. Bring mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for an hour.

3 Salt to taste. Add 1 to 3 teaspoons of sugar to take the edge of the acidity of the tomatoes if desired.

The chili may be made in advance and chilled for 2 days, or frozen for 2 months.

Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped red onion, and or sour cream. Serve alone, over rice, or with corn bread.

Makes about 12 cups. Serves 8.

2 comments:

  1. I am not joking, I just found a package of ground turkey in my freezer the other day that I do not even remember buying, so I will definitely try this out. I have a really hard time with ground turkey for some reason, but this sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa how funny! I also have a hard time with ground turkey, but Micah seriously loved this. I thought it was ok but I think thats just because certain things aren't that appetizing to me right now:) I really did have to add a lot more liquid to make it how I wanted, so let me know if you decide to make it how it turns out:)

    ReplyDelete