Friday, January 15, 2010

MY FAVORITE SMOOTHIE


I teach a little girl in my home. When she saw my smoothie this morning she said, "Teacher, why is there mud in your cup?" Don't let the color scare you away. This is my favorite breakfast. The first time I put spinach in this smoothie, I did it purely for the health benefits, expecting to have to gag it down. I was pleasantly surprised to find that you don't taste the spinach at all. I try to add a little kale if I have it, but if I add more than one leaf I don't like the taste. Carly can add more and still loves it. It's a sweet way to start the morning.

I keep frozen bananas in the freezer. Just peel, put in a freezer bag, and they keep beautifully. I buy a container of organic cold milled flax, and the frozen berries at Costco.

Mix in blender until smooth: 1 cup almond, soy, or cow's milk and a large handful of spinach or other greens (I prefer to make my own almond milk)
Add: Heaping 1/2 cup of mixed berries, 1 T. ground flax, 1/2-1 frozen banana
Blend until smooth. Enjoy!

Penny and Allison

4 comments:

  1. Penny shared this recipe with me a while ago and I absolutely love it! I haven't tried it with the spinach or kale (I'm a little scared) but I have with everything else and it is delicious. I like to just use half a banana cuz I'm not a big fan of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Penny - I make this almost every morning too! Both of my kids LOVE it. Here is a little banana hint: cut up the banana before freezing it because it seems to blend better...I think I just need a Vitamix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Montell - Good idea about the bananas. I have a Vita Mix, but occasionally there is a chunk of banana. Yuck. I can't take surprising chunks. Kind of ruins it for me. But also, sometimes I only want a portion of a banana. Never thought of cutting them up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you make your own almond milk? I have been using soy, but what is the nutritional value to the almond milk? I have completely cut out all dairy...so I am definitely interested in alternatives for my breakfast smoothies!

    ReplyDelete