Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Keen What?

Up until about a month ago, I had never heard of quinoa. Most of you probably already know what it is, but for those who don't:

Quinoa (KEEN-WAH) is the most nutritious of all grains. It's high in fiber, a good source of Iron, and has all eight essential amino acids! Technically quinoa is not a true grain, but is the seed of a plant. It is used as a grain or grain substitute because of it's cooking characteristics.

Now that you know how good it is for you, try this delicious recipe. It's quick and easy to make, and a good introduction to quinoa if you haven't tried it before.

I have had this for lunch everyday for the past week and a half, and I am not sick of it yet! I like to add a clove of crushed garlic to the dressing because everything is better with a little garlic, right? I also add blanched broccoli or asparagus for a more filling meal. It’s also great over a bed of greens for a yummy salad.

Herbed Quinoa

by Giada De Laurnentiis

  • 2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cups quinoa

Dressing:

  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the quinoa: In a medium saucepan, add the chicken stock, lemon juice and quinoa. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, about 12 to 15 minutes.

For the dressing: In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, basil, parsley, thyme, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Pour the dressing over the quinoa and toss until all the ingredients are coated. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.

4 comments:

  1. Melissa this looks amazing! I have been eating alot of quinoa lately, I make stir fry and use quinoa instead of rice. I have been wanting to find another use for it so I can't wait to try this recipe! And yes-everything is better with a little garlic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, thanks for the awesome post!!! The nutritional information is so helpful! We're going to try this soon. Quinoa is so versatile. I love to cook it and add milk with either agave or berries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! Can't wait to try this one! Its actually a grain I can eat too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sis- OH MY GOODNESS!!! This is so good! I made this today and I absolutely love it. I put broccoli in it like you suggested-way worth it I think because the herbs would be a bit strong without the broccoli. Thanks for posting this recipe...its definitely a keeper for me!

    ReplyDelete